Thursday, June 11, 2009

Update McLeod


It has been a while since I have written so here is an update on the last couple of months


April
My running was going to be put to the test in my first "running race" . I had entered the Canmore Women's Run last year and while I had enjoyed it apparently my brain forgot that this is one hilly run. I contacted Laurel and asked her how I should approach this race and she gave me some great tips. I was not anxious at the start of this race (usually I stress so much about the race that I pretty much psych myself out). The horn blows and off I go. Relax I remember that I need to stay focused. I tackle the hills and manage to take about 7 minutes off my time from last year. One race down and more to go.

May
I competed in the Try it Tri on May 24 and was really pumped for this one. Last year this was the first tri I had ever done. So to do it this time I was so ready. Laurel was there to give support to both Heather and I. I felt so confident. The swim was good and I headed for the transition area to get on the bike, Laurel was right there and I was so full of adrenaline. I grabbed my bike and off I went LITERALLY! I fell at the start of the bike transition. After what seemed like an eternity I got back on I knew that I was going to have to dig really deep inside myself to get past this hurdle. Even with blood dripping off my knee, I felt good on the bike. Things where going well until I realized that my front tire was slowly getting flatter. I figured that with only one lap to go I could just make it. I got back to transition and pretty much threw my shoes and helmet and took off for the run. I crossed the finish line and had accomplish what I had set out to do

Last year I finished in 1:29 and placed 45 in my age group. This year 1:11 and finished in the top 30 and 3 among women of my age (44).

June
The above picture was take June 6th just before I left for a ITT (individual time trial). Thank goodness they delayed the start by two hours. We had just about every weather pattern you can imagine which added to the experience. What surprised me was how quiet this race was. We where on a road that had no cars going in the opposite direction. No people standing on the sidelines cheering. Just the sound of the wheel and the road. WOW

The next day I put on the dreaded wet suit and braved the waters of Lake Sundance. Yes it was cold and no, no one had a gun to my head to do it. This experience really surprised me as I am a swimmer but apparently not in a lake. With the wet suit and booties I was at a loss as how to swim. I swear the trees didn't move as I swam what I thought was 150 meters but when I looked back to the shore I realized that I had made progress. As I was leaving the water to put my feet back on Terra Firma , I seriously thought I was going to pass out. I suspect with the cold water and restriction of the wet suit my body just was not used to that kind of workout.

The story continues......

No comments: